Monday, November 28, 2011

Pajamas be damned

"...I'm only going to the store to pick up some eggs so I won't really run into my students... Right?"

That's what I thought anyways. I was making wonton today and I needed an egg, but forgot I didn't have any. I had already changed into my pajama pants (they're red and black flannel) and I really didn't want to change just to run out. So what did I do? I put on my jacket and went out in my flannel pants. Thankfully, I didn't run into anyone on my short trip.

I did find a really small grocery store about half the distance from my house as the normal small grocery store in the covered mall. Unfortunately it's at the bottom of the hill and across the canal but oh we'll, it's still closer than essentially biking tot the station. The old guy running the store was really nice too, as was the old woodman. She gave me an orange. I thought I was supposed to take it back but apparently, I was supposed to peel it and eat it there since when I failed to peel it, she took it from me and peeled it for me and have it back to me. She was super nice though, like one of those stereotypical hunchbacked old Japanese ladies.

The tangerine (clementines are the same thing as tangerines... Right?) was really sweet and then the old obachan lady told me that one of the tangerines had mold on it so that one was bad. But she specified and said that because it was white mold it was bad to eat. Black mold was also bad. But apparently, if your tangerine grows blue mold (or green mold... the Japanese is unclear) it means it's a really good time to eat it.

Not so sure how much I believe that.

I'll try to post something about English camp sometime, but right now I need to focus on my applications.
I sent one off today (to Hawaii via EMS which is pretty. Much the equivalent of both rush service and guaranteed delivery/registered mail I think). So now all that app needs is my letters of rec (and possibly my study abroad... But I really hope they don't request that).

Next up is Berkeley's app, hooray. But for this everything is going to be online so that's way less of a headache.

No comments: