Saturday, November 12, 2011

Ugh, there was something I wanted to write about... But I forgot. u_u

I wanna say it was something about school, and something I found interesting but I really can't remember.

I spent today practicing the Asian squat for two hours and peeling garlic. Like, peeling, and not "crushing and then peeling." Made things a lot more different. Harder, for one. We were peeling garlic so they could plant the garlic at school to make garlic and herb olive oil. Typical friday stuff.

My hands reek of garlic now though. Sigh. 

Hm, I should write about chikuwa sometime. Chikuwa, for those of you who have never had the pleasure of making its acquaintance, is fish paste in the form of a long, cylindrical tube. It's in the nerimono family, or the 'ground up fish' family with kamaboko. The outside is kind of... Wrinkly. We had it for lunch today in the school lunch, along with hijikigohan, a kind of rice with these small bits of sea weed... not so tasty.

Ah! I remembered! I wanted to write about dolls. Yesterday in the culture class we made paper dolls, 避難人形... Early for dolls day. Doll's day is actually in March, but for some reason we're making the dolls now. The old lady who taught us, supposedly, started making these dolls, so they're kind of like her style or something? They're really cute either way. They're made with strips of hard poster paper and really pretty origami paper. We got to make them with her guidance. Or at least, we tried to make them.

I fail at crafts. 

Somehow I managed to make my strips of paper too long so the finished thing sat kind of lopsided... But one of the Korean girls at my table fixed it for me. They're ridiculously cute.

Also I somehow managed to a) put them on wrong and add too much glue so the glue showed when you looked and b)  reverse the order of the dolls. Oops.

Yeaaaaaaaaah.

I'll get pictures up eventually of them. They're adorable!

Supposedly it's bad luck to display them any time other than March, otherwise you'll never be a bride. Oh no. What ever shall I do. :)

No comments: