Sunday, November 13, 2011

KARAOKE~~

Today... has been a long and eventful day. I feel like I've done a lot of traveling. Okayama, Kurashiki, and Yakage... all in one day.

I think I'll be staying home for a while. Yep.

Last night/this morning was all-you-can-karaoke, aka all night karaoke. For charity. We got two rooms at this karaoke place, one for English and the other for Japanese and I bounced back and forth between the two rooms for a bit before settling down into one, since I could sing *some* Japanese songs (and figured why not try) and some of the songs in the English room I didn't really know.

Or well, I could sing some Japanese if they PUT FURIGANA ON MORE KANJI. Furigana are those small hiragana characters above kanji that show you how to read it. They're kind of a huge crutch when it comes to reading Japanese, both in the good and bad sense. Good, since if you don't know how to read a kanji, you can use that and sometimes you'll be able to recognize a word once you know how it's read, and therefore, you'll know the meaning. Also good for when you're trying to sing and you get to a kanji you don't know how to read. Instead of going "... :D " you can read the furigana instead! The downside to furigana is that it's really hard to NOT read it... so you end up constantly reading just the furigana without actually learning the kanji. If the furigana gets taken away...

Destruction.

Anyways, last night, we started around 8pm and there were a good number of us. I wanna say somewhere around 10-12 people... perhaps more? But around there. And we started to sing, and around 11 to midnight, people started to leave to go to bars or catch last trains back. There was a bit of confusion on whether or not we actually had the rooms until midnight or if we could stay there later, since at first they told us midnight (since the place was kinda busy) but we went and asked and they told us we could keep one of the (larger) rooms. Fine by me. But a lot of people left by midnight. I think after that, there were maybe... seven of us left? Two more left right after that, so then there were only five of us. And then that number dropped to four. And by one or two am, there were only two of us left. We had the room until five.

At that point, we could have gone home. But where's the fun in that? It's not like we had to pay anything extra for the room - we had already paid for it. And we only paid 1500 yen, which is somewhere around the neighborhood of $15. For nine hours. And we sang it all.

Karaoke is one of my favorite things here in Japan (if you couldn't tell). It's really fun, once you get over the shyness and embarrassment of singing in front of people. Some people are AMAZING singers. There's a couple of JETs whom I can think of... and a couple of people overall who have the voices to hit them high notes in songs sung by the like of Utada Hikaru (her vocal range is amazing) and Mariah Carey. They're brilliant to listen to.

Everyone else, it's all just fun. A lot of the songs I like to sing tend to be slower... or like, R&B songs or love songs (or Disney) so sometimes if it's a larger crowd it's a bit embarrassing to sing them or I feel like it's a mood killer. Yet last night, we managed to find a ton of amazing songs, and when it went down to just the two of us... yeah, we busted out all the crazy and embarrassing songs.

We sang a huge range of stuff; we had a Goo Goo Doll power period, Train, Sugar Ray, BBMak, Ghostbusters, Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, girl power songs, heaven, raining men (which was ridiculously fun to sing)... among other things, and we ended with Queen's "We are the Champions." It felt rather fitting, considering that neither of us had dozed off during the entire marathon and we had lasted until the very end when they were gonna kick us out. Plus we still had most of our voices (though clearly, we did something wrong?)

Ahhh, in retrospect, we should have sang "Just the Two of Us" hahaha. That would have been fun.

I don't know what it is about karaoke that makes it so much fun, but it makes me really happy that karaoke is really cheap here.

I did get some sleep though. After we got kicked out at 5 am, I caught the first train home (achievement unlocked) and stupidly didn't go to sleep until 7, despite getting home around 6:40. I slept until about 9:20, so I got about an hour and a half of sleep... plus the thirtyish minutes on the train I slept that morning. So I got like, three hours today.

Then I woke up and went to Takahashi's festival, kind of. I wanted to go for longer, but I found out really last minute that my friend was performing taiko in Yakage's festival (which was like, 40 minutes from me). I was planning on showing up to that later in the day, around 12:30. But then I found out she was performing around noon, and the train I had intended on taking wouldn't get me there in time. Instead I had to take the train that was 40 minutes earlier, cutting in to my festival time. I had originally planned on chilling at the festival in Takahashi until I had to leave for my train, but since I had to shower and get ready, I didn't get out of my house until rather late; twenty minutes prior to my train. It was hard - did I stay at this festival, or go out to watch my friend?

The festival looked rather interesting too. The people who did calligraphy class were there (one of the students was the emcee for the event) and they had tables selling stuff as well as food and performances on a stage. They were really cool! I was really sad that I couldn't stay for longer. the festival was for like... health or something? I'm not entirely sure.

The other festival in Yakage was the daiyamo festival, where History Is Remembered in the form of a parade with people dressed up in period costumes. The ALTs in Yakage get all dressed up as well, so we got to see our friends in period costume and several pounds of make up.

Slowest. Parade. Ever though. They were slower than a wedding. And worse, there was no music. But it was really interesting to watch; I got several good pictures that I swear I'll get up one of these days.

We didn't stay til the end of the festival, since that would have been until approximately 4 or something and the parade still had a ways to go when we left (though, we ended up leaving around 3:10 anyways...). Instead, we stopped by kurashiki's AEON mall to grab some bread and make a daiso and subway run. Yay not having to cook tomorrow!

Ah crap, I forgot I was supposed to do the laundry with my new laundry bags. The washing machines DESTROY clothes here... so laundry bags are supposed to help with that. Also I dunno why but I cannot get my clothes to smell clean for the life of me. It's kind of concerning. I miss washing machines and driers in the states. Sigh.

But yeah. Today we also agreed that laundry, cleaning, and uhhh, studying kanji were all categorized into the "futile" category since you're always doing them, and you can't really win (though maybe at kanji you can get close... or at least think you're close). Everything else... you clean, it's nice, but then you have to keep cleaning or it gets dirty, and even if you do a little bit here and there, it's still a kind of futile task.

If only clean things weren't so nice and relatively bug free.

OH. THAT REMINDS ME. I think I'm getting better at dealing with insects. Today as I was getting ready to go out, I was getting changed and had pulled my pants from my drying room into my bedroom since there's a full length mirror there. As I went to pick up my pants, a freaking kamemushi (these potato bugs that are really really stinky if you squish them) fell from them.

And what did I do?

I didn't scream. I was surprised and I gasped... but I didn't scream. That's like, a first for me. Normally (especially before I came to Japan) all bugs terrified me. Surprises got screamed at. The girls in the dormitory next to me have heard my screams from bugs before.

I even managed to get rid of it myself, though I couldn't bring myself to kill it. I was lucky in that potato bugs aren't very fast moving, and generally don't jump at you or fly... that I've seen. So I got my broom and dustpan and coaxed it into that and then chucked it outside. If I had squashed it, a) I would have squashed it straight into my bedsheets (gross) b) it would have let out an awful smell, and c) that increased the chances that it would have moved or something.

But yeah! I got rid of the bug all by myself. Wee~

Watch, next thing you know, I'll be touching them. lols.

No comments: