Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Class Types

I love my students in the agricultural classes. :) I don't know why but all three of the agricultural classes I teach in Niimi are full of just the nicest kids. They're english isn't the greatest (it might actually be the worst out of all my classes) but the at least usually make some effort in classes (even if it's all in Japanese) and most importantly, they don't look so dead in class. 

Those classes, in my opinion, are the worst. Worse than the classes with the rowdy kids (who have all tended to be boys, with the exception of two of my home ec classes). Like, they might be loud and some might be hard to control, but at least the class is alive and full of energy. We might not get through all the material, but I know that in my loud classes, I can usually count on the really loud kids to try and answer thing (even, or especially when they don't know the answer). I actually enjoy the loud classes now, mostly because I get such a good response from them. It's frustrating sometimes, but it's really nice to have students who actually want to answer things, even if it means them screaming your full name at the top of their lungs (my third year home ec girls do that, much to my dismay). 

The quiet classes on the other hand... The quiet classes, you sit there waiting for someone, anyone to answer. Even when you call on a student, in the class I had today they would just sit and stare at their desk, not speaking a word, not even in Japanese. At least some of the other classes would answer in Japanese. But no... These girls would just sit there and stare with this awkward silence that you would have to endure unless you picked someone else... And then the whole cycle would repeat over again.

It's not like that class wasn't smart; on the contrary, they got the best English score. And I know some of them knew the answers. But everything we did, from the activity to the worksheet to the questions... A brick wall of awkward silence. I've only seen them really alive when we play karuta, the card game where you have to slap the correct flash card on the table first. Otherwise... Silence. I'm kind of curious if we could get them to move more by having more activities that force them to stand or to do some kind of action or something. Who knows. You can lead a horse to water... but you can't make it drink.

Some of my other classes are like that too, some of my academic ones. So silent. Quieter than one of the Silent Sisters. Generally this is after gym or something, but sometimes it's not and you're just like, jeeze people, work with me here. The weird thing though, is that they're perfectly glad to talk to me outside of class... but inside class, they're quiet as clams. 

*

One of my schools is doing their culture festival this weekend, and it is, by far the festival that has had the most money spent on it, the performance stage actually has extensions, and the sound system... is no joke. They've got two massive speakers on either side of the stage, sophisticated sound control for all outputs, and a ton of mics. 

And then, there's the lighting. Most of my schools (ie, all the others) use spotlights that need to be manned by a student or someone and have an external disk they can rotate to change the color of the light. Jounan, the school with the amazing sound system, has full sets of lights on either side of the stage. I think there were like, twelve lamps in each set? The lights are controlled remotely, allowing for really gorgeous color changes. At the back of the stage is another long lamp that changes the color of the background. In the foreground, across the gym from the stage was another set of spotlights that had enough power to turn the gym into a brightly lit arena with the three lamps alone. It was AMAZING. I mean, it looked like they were going to put on a small production or something. These lights were nicer than the lights at the concert venue I went to. 

I am super extra sad that I can't see their stage performances. From what I saw from the preview, they looked kind of amazing. I'm super excited for their culture festival though. I'm going Saturday morning. Last year... Was nothing short of amazing. They can build ridiculous things out of cardboard, tape, box cutters, and paint alone... So combine that with access to things like proper wood and stuff and real tools (since they're a technical school) and holy lumberjack batman. 

For their sports day festival, as a banner, the third year design students made a dragon. A freaking dragon. It was AMAZING. The second year design students made models of Thomas the tank engine... That could be worn by people. They were probably larger than some of the students who made it. Those were also amazing (and a little creepy too - I mean, Thomas' face without the engine behind it is just WEIRD). 

This, combined with how some of the students will actually talk to me (even if it's in Japanese with bits of English thrown in) is why I've come to really like my technical schools, even if their English isn't supposed to be as good. Whatever; some students use more English outside the class and speak it more than my academic kids. Maybe it's because they're not expected to be so great so they're not as embarrassed to try and make mistakes. 

They're also not afraid to, in word association games, go from sunny to summer to sea to bikinis to SEXY hahaha. Though I have the suspicion that's not limited to just them.

No comments: