Monday, October 18, 2010

A Thousand Words to Explain a Picture

A master at work

I think I'm going to try something different with this blog. Maybe. Hopefully, it will make me more diligent about actually posting, and hopefully, less whiny and more interesting!

The plan: Post a picture. Explain picture in ~1000 words. Or something like that. :) It provides an elaboration on a picture that I've probably either put on facebook or in the newsletter, but has a longer version of the story to go with it. Or more complete. Or untold parts. Or something. I'm trying to make everything as... independent? from each other as possible, so hopefully, this accomplishes that and turns this blog from "jessica's wine-fest" into "hey awesome." Hopefully, it will also help me remember the smaller things that happened that day.

And now, the story.

Hiroshima, 18 September 2010
We were sitting on the curb not because our feet were tired, but rather, because it was in the shade and relatively out of the way. Our group was waiting in Hiroshima's famous peace park (which is, in fact, very peaceful), just outside the museum, for people to regroup so that everyone could go to lunch. Since we had all split up to cover the park in our own time, people were trickling back in small groups; we were waiting for two more people. Girls. British. They had chosen to do the peace museum after touring the park area.

Me? I did it first so that I could get it over and then walk around the park and contemplate. Originally, I wasn't going to go to the museum since a) I had done it already 5 and 6 years ago b) I didn't want to go a third time and c) It's really really really depressing. Somehow I managed to convince myself that this was a good idea because I was older and theoretically wiser now.

Anyways, we were waiting for these two girls, one of whom gets rather emotional over things like this so... we weren't entirely sure when she'd get out of the museum. Others were getting impatient, since it had been a while since any of us had eaten.

Finally, the majority of the people waiting decided that food was really important and split. Three of us from that group chose to wait for the other two. I mean, we're adults and everything (gasp) so it wasn't like we had to eat together for everything. Just that waiting seemed a little more polite than just up and leaving the poor girls after they walked through that depressing place.

So instead of having omurice (which is super tasty), our group went on an adventure to find this okonomiyaki area in Hiroshima that was particularly famous. We actually walked by the building without being able to find it haha. It was weird, because this was the same place I had eaten 5 or 6 years ago. I remembered it... kind of. It looked so familiar. Not in the dejavu sense, but in the "oh shit, I know I've been here before and I can remember doing these things.." sense. It was weird.

We almost didn't go to this place either, since I was in charge of picking where to eat since I had made the mistake of uttering "oh this looks familiar." I chose the place with the giant okonomiyaki sign outside of it. Or rather, building. We were so confused. No idea of what to do. There were stairs, and an elevator. The other girls took the elevator up, while Will and I actually took the stairs. Unfortunately... we kind of didn't talk to the others about where they were getting off at, so we wandered up the stairs in search of food, not knowing where they were getting off. Yeah. Poor planning on my part. BUT. We discovered that every single floor pretty much, was a cluster of okonomiyaki grills with bar seats. Freaking amazing I tell you. There had to have been at least 20 different places total in the building. We made our choice by who answered "can you do vegetarian?" since one person's a herbivore.

Our choice was a good one though. That okonomiyaki was so freaking good. It had a layer of crepe, cabbage, noodles, bacon-like pork, garlic, and mochi in it. Mmmmmmmmmmmm tastiness.

No comments: