Saturday, October 23, 2010

Magical Stickers



Eventually, there will be pictures of not food. But today, the actual object I'm going to talk about *isn't* the meat itself, but rahter, those magical stickers that sometimes adorn the surface of the meat packages at the grocery store. Those magical stickers that look kind of like hand thingies, in case you can't read kanji, means "half." Combined with the kanji on the right, you get the magical combination known to super market shoppers as the half price off stickers. What does this mean?

See that 580 yen meat? Ignoring the yen's really strong stance against the dollar and just taking things 100 yen to 1 dollar, it's roughly $5.80 for that nice chunk of low quality meat. I don't know what kind of meat it is, and I'm not really at the point where I care right now. It's meat. I have seasoning to make it awesome. So with those stickers, I can buy not one, but TWO of these magical meats and cook one up to eat right that night. The only downside to these meats is unless you freeze them (which isn't that hard, I just hate having to plan well enough to have the meat defrost in time) they go bad relatively quickly because the *actual* reason those stickers are on there is because they're about to expire.

But hey. 2 Steak things for 580 yen? Two giant hunks of meat? Yes please.

This is why Japanese grocery stores are awesome. Half price off stickers. They also have these stickers for premade foods (generally, towards 6pm every day since those foods are perishable). Generally though, I avoid anything that has mayo. I had a very uh... unpleasant encounter. I'm pretty sure it was due to mayo being left out. Lesson learned. No mayo that has been left out for a while or unrefrigerated. No thank you.

No comments: