Monday, December 26, 2011

Happy holidays and mexican fun!

Merry Christmas and Happy holidays!

I'm home for Christmas, but only for two more days. Then it's off to the Philippines for me, to visit one of my good friends from my study abroad. :D Hopefully I'll get the chance to update (I've been meaning to while I'm home, but yeah, we've seen how that goes... though, I do intend to get a new years post up!).

A quick word on Christmas in Japanland, since I spent last year there and did a bunch of Christmas lessons this year. I was really proud of my students; they all answered false to the question of "Do Americans eat Christmas Cake?" since that's one of the stereotypes/traditions in Japan. Christmas cake, and KFC. Last year everyone was really surprised that we actually did... neither.

I did manage to blow their minds with a couple of facts. Namely: a) Santa lives in the North Pole b) the red nose reindeer's name is Rudolph (the song in Japanese only sings about an anonymous red nosed reindeer) and c) Santa has 9 reindeer including Rudolph.

I think my new hobby is surprising Japanese people/blowing their minds ohohohoho. It's actually quite fun.

Today, one of my students made my morning when I logged in to facebook and found a happy christmas message. :) I was like, awwww. Yay. Warm fuzzy feelings.

Time to go stuff myself with breakfast casserole and glorious bacon and potatoes. OMMMMMMMMNNNNOOOMM. Real bacon! CRISPYYY.

Like usual, my uncle is very late and "breakfast" has turned into brunch since it's already 11 am. That's one of the traditions in my family; Christmas breakfast with the family at my parent's house. Usually (though not always) my mom and dad's siblings come over. This year is a little smaller, since we're missing two aunties and their spouses/families.

I guess I should go down and be like... social or something hahaha. Since this is what I came home for, after all! This and my friend's wedding. And driers. And Mexican food. OH. I should mention. While I was home, my family took me to Mi Pueblo, the Mexican supermarket. Oh my god. Mind = blown. IT'S AMAZING. THEY HAVE GIANT BARRELS OF HOT PEPPERS AND GUAVA AND ALL SORTS OF AMAZING THINGS AND THEY HAVE AGUA FRESCA THERE AND LIKE A HOT FOODS SECTION THAT MAKES BURRITOS AND TACOS AND ALL SORTS OF OTHER AMAZING MEXICAN FOODS AND IT'S LIKE SO FREAKING AMAZING BECAUSE I COULD PROBABLY LIVE THERE AND THEY EVEN HAVE AN OVEN SO I WOULD LIKE NEVER HAVE TO LEAVE THE PLACE CAUSE I COULD JUST COOK THERE AND I WOULD GET SO FREAKING FAT BECAUSE THEY ALSO HAVE A BAKERY SECTION AND THEY HAVE THIS AMAZING LOOKING FLAN AND TART AND I GUESS THEY HAVE OTHER THINGS TOO LIKE STRAWBERRY CROISSANTS BUT THEY LOOK MORE LIKE DANISHES AND THEN DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE MEAT SECTION IT LOOKED AMAZING AND THEY HAD SAUSAGES AND CHORIZO AND THEN THEY HAD A WHOLE SALSA SECTION THAT GAVE YOU FREE SAMPLES AND IT WAS SO TASTY AND THEIR CHIPS ARE HELLA GOOD AND THEN WE FOUND TAPATIO FLAVORED DORITOS AND RUFFLES AND I WAS LIKE OMFG OMFG HAVE I REALLY FOUND HEAVEN BECAUSE DAMN THIS IS KINDA AMAZING BUT THEN I GOT DISTRACTED BY THE MEXICAN CANDIES AND THOSE WERE KINDA COOL BUT DID I MENTION THE SPICE SECTION AND HOW AWESOME IT IS AND HOW THEY SELL WHOLE CHILIS AND DRIED CHILIS AND OMFG THEY ACTUALLY SELL STALKS OF SUGAR CANE LIKE IN THE GROCERY MARKET JUST CHILLIN THERE NEXT TO THE GUAVA AND THE PEPPERS IN THE SHELLS AND STUFF JUST LIKE GIANT SUGAR CANES AND THEY ALSO SELL MASA AND THEIR TORTILLAS WERE GOOD AND OH GOD THE AL PASTOR STUFF WAS FREAKING AMAZING THOUGH IT SHAMES ME THAT I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT IT WAS BEFORE IT WAS LIKE WUTTT IT'S PINEAPPLE MARINATED PORK OMFG TASTYYYY AND REAL AGUA FRESCA NOT JUST HORACHA AND JAMAICA AND TAMARIND BUT ALSO MELON AND STRAWBERRY AND IT WAS SO AMAZING AND OH GOD WHY HAVE I NOT GONE THIS PLACE BEFORE ESPECIALLY SINCE MY BROTHER SAID THERE WAS ONE IN SAN DIEGO CLEARLY I FAIL.

Haha, that was longer than I intended it to be.

TLDR; Mi Pueblo is a Mexican supermarket that's effin' amazing and kind of like my personal heaven.

Hope you have/had a fantastic christmas where ever you are!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Girlfriend! I thought you had been to a real Mexican market already. I took Wendy this past summer and it was amazing. I got to use my amazing Spanish skill (Donde esta tacos)

Anonymous said...

Ни в коем случае [url=http://profvesti.ru/o-stroitelstve-domov/]ремонт холодильников на дому[/url]