Monday, August 8, 2011

City Kind Of Sort Of Nearish The Bay

I keep having these alternating moments of "oh my god I work and live in Japan" and "oh my god I'm in California" while I'm over here. Been pretty busy the past week or so since arriving, especially since I've been eating making my way down through California, and have had little to no internet access (or time) since last saturday.

Did you know California has at least two safaris in it? I didn't know that either. I knew about one - Wild Animal Park in San Diego, since it's affiliated with the San Diego Zoo. But the other one is up in the hills/boonies of Santa Rosa. Santa Rosa, who knew! I went up there with my family (it was the one weekend all five of us were in the same spot) and like, it's a legit animal park safari thing. There are no Lions, but there are a bunch of cheetahs, though not out in the safari area. There were pretty much two areas: the animals in the cages/habitat areas (they were pretty roomy) and the open area that the ranger people drove you through. That was really cool. That area had a bunch of giraffes and ohmireeeses antelope. Antelope? Gazelles? I think they were gazelles not antelope. ...things with four legs and horns and generally fast. Tons of different types. It was really cool to see. I'll eventually get pictures up.

There were also wildebeests. MUFASAAAAAAAAAAAAA. And zebra. Those were cool. And cows. They reminded me of oregon trail.

After that though, we drove down to the petaluma outlets (omg shopping for clothes that can actually FIT me), and had lunch with my grandma at this awesome dumpling place in Oakland chinatown. I think I could eat dumplings and rice for the rest of my life. Om nom. I missed Chinese food. Like hole in the wall kind of chinese food.

Lunch ended with us buying char siu bao (bbq pork buns) (baked) and then my brother and I headed off towards San Diego. From there it's been a crazy short five days of friends, mexican food, friends, beach, couch surfing, more food, more beach, and "jessica is not in a planning mood right now." And oh yeah. DISNEYLAAAAAAAAAAND. San Diego though, was perfect. Like, weather, beach, food, friends... perfection. Why did I leave? Oh yeah. To go to Japan. Which is epic in its own sense. But seriously. I love the beaches in San Diego. Also crashed at a friend's place in Irvine and got to see another old friend at the farmer's market in the morning before I drove back up to the bay. That was super nice.

One of my biggest fears, I suppose, is that I'm going to get back to where ever, or go visit where ever and nobody will be there because everyone has moved away. It's kind of happening now. My friends are scattering. But it's okay, I think. Despite scattering. We'll always be able to see each other and stuff, I suppose. It'll be fine.

I can't believe I'm vacationing in California and working in Japan. Duuude.

Eventually I will have pictures up! Hahaha.

No comments: