Friday, August 12, 2011

Festival Prep

I meant to take pictures of us doing beef teriyaki skewering here in Concord. Oops. I forgot. Or well, I was too busy actually skewering and catching up with people to pull out my camera. We must have skewered for ages though. 31 tubs of meat, and our beef teriyaki skewers aren't just meat like the Japanese gyuugushi/meat on sticks. We're, y'know, healthy. Kind of. Between each meat slice there's a green bell pepper. Totally healthy. Yep.

Actually, I should really bring this back to Japan since bell peppers are actually cheap, and if I just use the thin sliced beef it won't be too too expensive. Just need to make the teriyaki sauce and figure out the best way to make it - oh wait, I have a grill. Hopefully it won't explode into flames again. Like literally. The last time I used it, I got a couple of fireballs that blossomed from the grease that was falling down. Very pretty. Probably not safe.

But preparations for the Concord (California) Diablo Summer Festival, our Japanese-American summer obon festival, have been going on for the past week, so I've been popping in to help out in between running around taking care of business and seeing friends and stuff. Helped cut the bellpeppers. Sliced the shrimp. Skewered the beef teriyaki. Will probably be working tomorrow in beef teriyaki and inside at calligraphy. Just what I want to do right before I leave. Of course. It's fun though, working at festival and being part of the Japanese/Asian American community out here in the suburbs.

It's awesome though, because I get to go from one festival straight to another, since Matsuyama Odori will be happening when I arrive back in Takahashi. YAAAAAAAY.

I'm excited. I also have mixed feelings about going back though. I missed California a lot. I'm worried about my grandma. I missed my friends. I missed the food. I think I might be good on that front though. Maybe. But the weather here... is amazing. It's been cool, even cold in some places. I've been wearing jeans and a sweatshirt sometimes. Can you say heaven? So... I'm not looking forward to going back to the humidity. But it's Japan! And Takahashi! And bugs! I'm afraid to come back to my house lol. Mostly I'm terrified that the bugs have taken it over while I've been away. And that's actually a valid concern. I left it clean... but I'm paranoid I forgot something. And that the spiders will take over.

Takahashi has become home for me though. I have home in two places: Concord and Takahashi. This time around, it doesn't feel like I'm off to Japan on a grand adventure (even though, I am) but it feels kind of like I'm leaving one home for the other. I suppose that's a good thing. :)

I leave on Sunday morning though, at 11:30. gahhhhhh. I'm not packed at all (of course)! I have so much to do I don't know what I have to do before I leave. It's kind of ridiculous. I've also been scheming how I can get a deli sandwich from Genova - this amazing Italian deli near where I live that makes amazing sandwiches - to take with me on the plane. And what I'm going to do for 11 hours, since my laptop battery will definitely not last that long, nor will my soon-to-be-disconnected-iPhone.

iPhone. Smartphones. It was beautiful having you again. Perhaps I made a mistake in not waiting for you in Japan, but I regret nothing. Being connected somehow for not all my money was kind of important.

The past two weeks have been a complete whirlwind of activity, food, and friends. My trip has only reminded me of what amazing friends I have not only on both sides of the pacific, but also around the world, as everyone continues to scatter to the four winds. It's also reminded me that I'm old. I met up with one of my friends from elementary school (Elementary!), a couple middle school friends, college friends, Scholar Ship friends, basketball friends, and soon, I will be traveling back to my Japanland friends. I've been quite lucky indeed. Eventually, (maybe) there will be pictures. :) I keep saying that. Eventually it will come true... right?

Right?

*

No comments: