Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Future

This weekend was pretty relaxing, which was nice since classes (and planning for said classes, and culture festivals) are starting again this week. Saturday was mostly cleaning and cooking... kind of. The day had so much promise... and then I went back to sleep and felt rather lazy. It was kinda a meh day outside, and the observatory in one of the cities (asakuchi? Something like that... down near Kasaoka) was open to the public, but the person who was going changed the time he was going to early in the morning at 9ish and I was like yeaaaaah it takes me an hour and a half to get there at least, so yeaaaaah, not leaving here at 7 on a saturday. No thank you. It wasn't really a full day thing anyways. A bunch of people were going to the beach, but I was feeling kind of bleh (I just came back from a food eating binge in the states, after all) so that idea got nixed as well. Plus it was getting late.

And then I discovered Infinity Blade. Ohhhh man. Oh man. It's kind of awesome. It's a game for the iPad where you control this dude who's trying to avenge his father... again and again. You battle enemies in duels, and your finger swipes become sword swings in whatever direction you're swiping. You can block, dodge, and parry blows, plus throw in some hits of your own. You level up your equipment in order to gain experience yourself. Some equipment have magical abilities; what magic they have, you can use. Heal has been my best friend.

Needless to say, my grand plans to get lots of stuff accomplished that day got.... sidetracked. I did finally get out to Juntendo and Polka for doing some grocery and necessity shopping. I also managed to get a couple loads of laundry loaded, and I finally aired out my futon.

Right before I left, this nagging voice in the back of my head told me that I should probably take my futon in. Just in case. Better safe than sorry and all that.

And what did I do?

I ignored that voice.

That was a really really really unwise decision. But the day was so nice; there were few clouds in sight and it was pretty sunny. Plus the weather said that there was no sign of rain last time I checked. I thought I would be alright. I thought wrong.

Right as I got out of Juntendo, the home store, ziploc plastic containers in hand, I looked up at the sky and could have sworn I saw a drop or two. I started to get more nervous. I debated heading back home right then and there, but I still had a list of food things I needed to buy. I'd be fast, I figured. It wouldn't take that long.

It took long enough. When I exited the building, shopping complete (lists really do make things go faster), it was raining. Hard. My mind went into panic mode (and berate yourself for being stupid mode). I secured my stuff to my bike and took off as fast as I could (nearly losing some things along the way). As I rode towards my house, it started to rain harder; the rain actually was hurting as it pelted my face. I had no umbrella, no poncho, no jacket, nothing water proof; I hadn't thought to bring anything since it didn't look like rain. I could have bought one from the store or from the conbini.

I had priorities though. That priority was getting home and taking my futon. I was praying that the heavy rain was slow moving and that it hadn't reached my house yet. Ponchos, umbrellas, would have just slowed me down. I swear that's the fastest I've biked back home. Uphill. In the rain.

My futon was half wet when I got back, so I pulled it inside my house, into the doorway. So much for trying to air it out! This is the SECOND time this has happened.

Jessica: 0 Nature: 2

Sigh.

To make matters worse, my bike, left to stand on its own, was extremely unbalanced and went tumbling over, getting my stuff muddy and denting the basket a little. Nothing big. But I mean, after having biked home in the ridiculously humid rain, pouring sweat from the uphill ride, and getting soaking wet, the bike falling was super extra sucky.

Seriously, did the weather come here from San Diego? WHERE DID THAT RAIN COME FROM. Augh. Nature hates me sometimes, I think.

Yeah though, after that, I didn't get much done because I was too busy drying off and trying to sit still so I wouldn't keep pouring sweat. And then I cooked stuff (meatballs to be specific). I hope they aren't bad yet. >_> <_< They didn't smell bad. I'm still not sick today. That's a good sign, right?

Today was much nicer though. I cleaned. Just did all the dishes. Haven't felt like doing much after that. Met up with the new Kibichuo Town JETs for pastry breakfast. They're super nice. :) We ate at Chalon, the really really awesome patisserie in Takahashi and chatted a bit before going our separate ways. I went to AEON mall to watch the new Ghibli movie.

It's super cute! I didn't understand a lot of what they were saying, but I did understand a good 50% of it! And I think I understood the general story as well. Thank goodness boy-likes-girl and oh em gee drama are pretty easy to read by body language. And even though I'm only 60% sure what was going on, it was still a super cute movie. It reminded me a little of my study abroad time on the Scholar Ship, mostly because the different signal flags play a small role in the story. Really cute though. I'm excited to see it with subtitles, haha.

I suppose I should clean or something before bed. Study. Shower. I think I transferred all the dirt from my dishes onto me. -_-; It was so hot too. @,@

OH. So the whole reason why I titled my entry "the Future":
We were at AEON (we being me and my friend from Okayama :3 ) and I went crazy cause they had frozen spinich, western frozen veggies (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower), and just frozen green peas. Seriously. THis is what I get excited over now. Hooray for my life. I'm so easy to please. But I bought some before I left for Takahashi, and the lady asked me if I needed ice, so I said yes and she gave me a token.

Turns out that token is for a machine. You put your bag of groceries in the machine, on little hooks. You close the door. You put the token in and hit start. AND THEN THE WHOLE MACHINE STARTS TO SMOKE. What you're getting dumped into your grocery bag isn't just regular ice, it turns out. IT'S DRY ICE. They give you dry ice to keep your frozen stuff cold. Holy. Freaking. Shit. Dry ice. For frozen veggies. At the grocery store. At the mall. In Japan. It's time like these that Japan lives up to the "crazy technology" stereotype I had of it before I came over here.

Also, I swear I'm working on the newsletter. Slowly. Yet surely. I swear it'll get out before September, which is in.... 3ish or so days. Yeaaaaah. Yeah. Yeah. WORKING ON THAT.

No comments: