Thursday, May 5, 2011

Yuzu


I'm not entirely sure if it's a seasonal food or not, but yuzu is one of the interesting flavors that I've seen used in a wide range of cooking in Japan.

Yuzu is a type of (usually) yellow citrus that kind of looks like a really bumpy, kinda yellow orange. You know, those really rough looking oranges. Or like someone took an orange and a lemon and BAMP made a yuzu. It's taste though... is different than both and not really similar to either. It's distinct to the point where if you eat something with yuzu flavoring, you're like, woah, that's yuzu there. No doubt 'bout it. It's a really popular flavor to use in things or to add as a zest like a lemon. For example, I'm eating this fantastic yuzu yakisoba, and I also bought yuzu gyoza (which, might I add, is fantastic). I've also seen it in honey, tea, and a slew of other things as well. Apparently, it's an important ingredient in ponzu.

It's not as sweet as an orange, but it's not as sour as a lemon. It still has that kind of citrusy zing to it though, and tastes... fresh. It's hard to describe! You should just eat it for yourself.

Truly though, it's one of my favorite flavors in Japan. Whether or not it's a seasonal thing, well, I guess I'll see in summer if it disappears or not, but I'm hoping it sticks around. It's also funny, because I haven't actually seen the fruit around in stores; only in the form of flavored things. When I first heard about it, I thought it was a kind of southern Japan thing, but apparently it's more widespread than that?

Either way, it's super とても oishii~ <3

No comments: