Monday, May 23, 2011

That's (not) my Donald, McDonald~

Before I came to Japan, I scoffed at the idea of eating too much McDonald's while I was over here. Wait, no, scratch that, I scoffed at the very idea of eating or wanting to eat McD's while we were in the land of Japanese food and beef bowls and curry and rice and ramen and omurice, among other things.

Ha ha. If I could have seen myself now.

Not only have I eaten at McDonald's at LEAST once a month (way more if you count breakfast) but for a while it was almost once a week.

Who have I turned into?!

Now, to defend my position, the Japanese McDonald's is about 50% like the American one. That is to say, not very much. Seriously, they are my FAVORITE breakfast place here, for several reasons. The first, is that unless you go to an expensive breakfast place at a nice hotel, your breakfast options (in Okayama anyways) are limited to mostly carb-only things: there's a place that does Bagels, Belgian Waffles (oh god they're so good though), Bread (oh god the types of bread you could have here for breakfast) and uhhh... riceballs (which are actually usually breakfast every tue/fri since I just grab conbini food in the morning). Note, lots of these things are of the sweet type; there's less savory things, and even less than that if you take out anything covered in cheese (though, I do love me some cheese).

Perhaps it's just from living out here, but there are very few places that actually do breakfast and serve you like... meat. There are some bakeries that will have bread that has like, bacon on it or something, but sometimes I crave egg, and I always always always crave breakfast sausage (I miss Jimmy Dean's lol).

...yeah, I know I can MAKE breakfast and it'll turn out far better than most of it. Japanese breakfast is super easy; it's just rice and miso soup, but I never wake up in time to start the rice. :x Also, whenever I do want to make breakfast, I swear, I never have potatoes or eggs, so I have to bike down to the store, which is about an hour and a half trip because I NEVER make quick trips to the grocery store. Plus McD's breakfast is for when I'm out and about; very few places and grocery stores open before 10 (at least out here in the boonies).

No joke, McDonald's has the only CHEAP breakfast sausage I have been able to find outside of the expensive hotels. One of these days though, I'm going to go pay for one of the nice breakfasts. Maybe when I'm in Tokyo. :) Maybe I'll skip out on the free JET breakfast one morning haha. Plus, their hashbrowns are made of crack. SO TASTYYYY.

Oh, but I wasn't writing about breakfast. Not originally anyways. I was talking about dinner and lunch. Like seriously, why would you ever have McDonald's when you could go to a super tasty ramen or curry place?

Because. Japanese McDonald's are awesome.

Here is my evidence for this assertion:
1. They're doing a promotion where if you essentially supersize your meal, you'll get these really really cool glass coke can bottles. Seriously, this is going to be gifts for several people back home. I apologize in advance, but I'm probably not going to ship these out; I'll just bring them back with me and ship them from the states. ...which means that I'll wash 'em real well before I get back lol. Because these cups are SO FRIGGING COOOOOOOOL.
2. Burger challenges. So right now, they're doing the mega mac (not so exciting). Instead of TWO beef patties, you get FOUR. Woah. Yeah though, that's not what I meant. Japan has come out with the American BUrger series, which were available exclusively in Japan (or at least, definitely not in America). They were actually like... tasty burgers. I mean, they weren't even to say, fuddrucker's quality, but for McD's they were tastyyyyy. I have pictures. I will put them up here eventually. :) Along with the coke bottle pictures.
3. Their Chicken-Filet-O is really really really tasty. Like really. THeir chicken products, in my opinion, taste better than KFC's.

Oh, the title isn't a typo either. In Japanland, instead of being called Ronald McDonald, he's Donald McDonald. That doesn't even go with the stereotype, since it's the L/R rather than the D/R sounds that get mixed up.

So while some part of my heart weeps to say this, today I am going in to the city to study Japanese and get me a Coke glass. :) THEY'RE SO PRETTY~

No comments: