Thursday, September 2, 2010

Today I had to give my speech to the students and teachers from my base school, the school I've been hanging out and bumming internet off of since I came here. So like, these teachers KNOW me. And these kids have seen me. I live right next to the school.

So what did I do? I practiced. I even had it written down and practiced from that. Then what did I do? I IMPROVED HALF OF THE SPEECH. Seriously, major mind blank right in the middle. I think I rambled and said dumb things. I think I was too quiet.

It's not like this was the first time I've spoken in front of a large crowd of students, but it was the first time I had already stood in the classroom in front of a good quarter of them, perhaps, or had seen elsewhere.

Yeah way to botch it Jess. The other English teachers said it was really good, but I'm not sure if any of the students actually figured out what I was saying. Maybe. Hopefully? I had originally planned on doing it in Japanese and English (more like English with brief amounts of Japanese here and there) but the kencho-sensei said pretty much everything I was going to. So yeaaah. Oops. That's what prompted the whole improving thing.

Ahhhh well.

Afterwards, I had no class, but instead spent time making posters about myself lol. Seriously. There are like... four or five posters with my pictures on them. BTW, Jeana, your picture is there, large, front, and center lol. The one with the duck. :D They think it's cute haha.

I swear though, it was more work than being up in front of the class room almost haha. I'm SO TIRED. And hungry. Two posters were posters of FOOD. Not my idea, actually. Suga-sensei's. So hungry because of it.

I also made a 25 minute video of pictures and short videos of me and friends and family lol. I didn't think it was possible to go on for so long about me.

This also prompted cleaning out my computer, because I'm desperate for more space. Seriously, I don't know what's eating up all this space. I cleared out two or three gigs worth just from deleting old mail and attachments from Finder (not entirely sure if that'll screw up something else but I have my backups...) and deleting program supports of programs I'd already trashed. Woo. I'm sure there's a bunch more in iTunes, especially since I downloaded a billion different podcasts haha. I think I have 5 gigs or something there. o_O I kindddd of want a new computer haha, but not until I leave JET. My next large purchase, I think, will be an external hard drive. That, I need.

Seriously though, where is all the space on my computer going? >_<

In other news, I've been cooking a lot at home. I think being stuck out here in Japan has made me want to cook more, to have foods that are a little more familiar to me since - lets face it - food is a central part of my life. What did I bring from home in addition to pictures? The family cook book (half of which I cannot use, due to lack of oven or lack of ingredients).

Which reminds me. If anyone has recipes for things that are cooked with basic ingredients (not things like Lawry's season salt - I'm planning on getting my hands on those soon!), rice cooker recipes, or microwave/stovetop recipes, I WOULD LOVE THEM. Seriously. Anything. I'm so down for trying to cook new things. Hell. I'm even making tortillas out here. So send them recipes my way and I will love you forever~ :D

2 comments:

D J Capelis said...

Old but good: http://thelazychef.wordpress.com/2006/12/02/rice-cooker-bread-ja-pan-2/

Aaron said...

Buy a toaster oven that has a temperature dial - it's a mini oven! They're not too expensive (¥8000 ish?) and a toaster oven absolutely saved me when I was there... The only issue is that since a toaster oven is so small, and the food is so close to the heating elements, on occasion the top and bottom of the dish would get a little crispy. But it's an oven!

I bought one of those heavy clay pots with lids that I think are for making stew, covered the lid with foil (to cover the vent hole) and made bread: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html - yum.