Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Oh High Schoolers...

Today was my first day at Kita-kochi, which pretty much means North Campus. It's a trade school (ie, non-academic) so most of the kids aren't going to university, and will probably have very little practical use for using spanish. Kind of the same way someone who learns Spanish will find it useful if they live their whole lives out in a place like Walnut Creek or Danville or say... Ohio. Granted, English is probably a little bit more common than Spanish is in those places, but honestly, it doesn't really seem like it when I'm out here. Sure, there are words in katakana. But then again, who really knows where those words come from anyways? We have plenty of loaner words in English.

Despite the fact though, that I pretty much taught the same exact lesson (or rather, gave the same exact presentation) each class was very very very different. Today I did three classes in total. One was mixed, one was all boys, and one was all girls. The mixed one got a relatively moderate reaction; that class was alright, I didn't feel like I massively screwed up and it was relatively fun. That was the first "do you have a boyfriend" question I got since I started the q&a session at the end. They said they didn't believe me hahhaha. I think they might have even called me a liar. This, I found highly amusing. There was a girl at the end though who came up and asked me which anime I liked. She was kawaii~ :D I'm really glad she came and asked questions, since she looked a little shy.

The second class, not a single peep. That was the all girl class. I did get them to chatter a little bit when I showed them Snorlax and talked about Disney. Just a little. Small victory for Jessica!

The last class though. Oh man. That was actually kind of fun. I had to be loud (which for me, is no small feat) because this was the class full of boys, and they kept coming in late... but they had pretty good responses during the presentation and actually came up with questions. Granted, the questions they came up with...

The first was the "do you have a boyfriend" to which I responded LOLNO. Then they asked how old I was. Then they asked which guy in the class was my type. LOL. So I looked very thoughtful. And then I looked at the boys. And then I smiled and said, "Secret."

Oh first year high school boys. You make me giggle. I hope they don't actually think I like one of them. That might be bad. But after that, the one very talkative boy (who was asking most of the questions) got up and did this little swagger walk and flipped his hair before sitting back down to laughs. And then got up again. And swaggered his way over to me, put out his hand, and said "NICE TO MEET YOU."

I think I nearly died laughing. Especially when he went back to his seat, and promptly slid out of it because the chair had slidden back or something. That had the whole class laughing.

All in all, not that bad. Despite doing "first days" at the other schools, I still get a little nervous when it's in front of a new group of 40 faces. Lord help me, I don't know how I'm going to remember their name.

Oh, that reminds me. Speaking of boys, one of the other JETs came over to visit Takahashi's castle on the weekend, and me, stupid me, thinking that the school would be deserted (like it would be in America) decided to walk through it so I could show him the school (which is rather charming).

Yeaaaaah. There were so many students there. I think some of them I taught. I'm pretty sure some of them were in classes I taught. The first thing that went through my mind? "OH CRAP."

In a couple of seconds, they confirmed my fears, and undid what hard work I was trying to do at staying under the gossip-boy-talk radar.

"BOYFRIEND?!?!?!?!!?"

Both of us yelled out "NO" almost immediately, though I think I was a bit quicker than he was at firmly denying it. The quicker you deny it, the faster they get over it and stop right?

Silly me. I have younger siblings. I should know better.

"LOVER?!?!?!?!?!" was what followed. I think I nearly died of embarrassment. Needless to say, we did not go that way on the way back.

At least it makes a good story, I guess?

1 comment:

Honeydew said...

Ahah, the boys class reminded me of the show gokusen. Except you aren't the daughter of a yakuza...