Friday, January 21, 2011

Let's Cooking! (Omurice)

Today was full of all sorts of awesome, a nice way to the end of an otherwise crappy week. Firstly, I went to my handicap school up in the mountains of Niimi. There was snow, and not the icy, "oh crap I'm gonna slip and break something" kind, but powder snow that had freshly fallen. It was absolutely gorgeous, and I spent a good twenty minutes frolicking (yes, frolicking) out in the HUGE yard area that was just a large soccer filed sized blanket of mostly fresh snow. I was like a small child getting to play in the snow for the first time. I think I did everything a kid would do, short of making a snow angel cause that would have made everything wet and cold and sad. It was kind of amazing. :) I haven't had that much fun in a while; and I'm not just talking any kind of fun, but that kind of childish abandonment of any adult concepts where you can spin around giggling and then turn around and run off with a laugh. Quite refreshing, really.

On top of that - here's more proof I'm a kid - our kyuushoku (school) lunch (which is normally very not bad, but other places have lunches that sound like all sorts of awful) was spaghetti. I nearly started jumping with glee. It was pretty decent lol.

For dinner tonight, I made omurice with the leftover rice I had from the night before. My only regret is that it wasn't that much rice so I didn't get to have that much. But oh man, it was awesome. And it was... well, I don't know if it was healthy. but it wasn't particularly unhealthy?

I'm writing the "recipe" here so I don't forget it. <3

Omurice!
Use as much rice as you want. I eyeballed it, so there's no set amount. However much you want to eat/however much is left.
A handful of frozen veggies from a bag, ie, however much you want to eat in your rice. I guess for me it's like, a quarter or a third of it.
One hugeass clove of garlic, or two cloves, minced.
Sriacha, to taste
Lawry's season salt (a dash).
Ketchup.
Oil for cooking.
2 eggies seasoned with salt and pepper.
Cheese

Cook the frozen veggies. By cook I mean warm up in a pan. Add the rice once the veggies are warm (about two minutes or so). Add garlic and lightly coat the rice in lawry's season salt (or another season salt) and stir around for a little bit, making sure to break up the rice. Then add ketchup and sriacha until your rice is evenly coated and red. Cook this for another minute or two, closer to two than one. Mostly it's just to warm up your stuff. Oh, I also add pepper cause I love pepper.

Once this is done, transfer this to a plate. Now to make the top. Crack the two eggs into a bowl and add pepper and salt and mix like you're making scrambled eggs. Add a little more oil to the pan for cooking. Tilt the pan away from you and pour the egg in so that it kind of pools at the bottom. Use a chopstick or something not metal to stir around the egg so that your egg cooks but still forms in a nice shape. Stirring it occasionally lets you stir up the cooked egg at the bottom so that uncooked egg can take its place. Alternatively, you can do the "pull up and tilt so the raw egg goes underneath it" method. Stop when it looks like most of egg is cooked and it's set. Then, either using a spatula or mad cooking skills, flip the egg/omelette onto the other side and let it cook for like, another twenty seconds. Turn off fire. Coat rice on plate with cheese and shape. Cover in omelette. Drizzle ketchup or sriacha (or both) on the top so it looks all pretty.

CONSUME.

No comments: