Monday, May 26, 2014

Backstreet's Back,

(Alright!)

After failing to play at the Concord Pavilion the last time I saw them some time ago before all five Backstreet Boys were reunited, the Backstreet Boys came to the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View and played a fantastic concert with Avril Lavigne as their opener.

It was like two hours of fantastic fangirling and sing-a-longs haha.

I was actually really surprised that I saw a decent range of people (though, lots of twenty-something people) including some girls who I'm pretty sure were like... eighteen or something. They were quite drunk and quite annoying ahahaha. But I mean honestly, they were an insignificant part of the evening. Cause ommfg, the Backstreet Boys performed again.

Their visuals were actually quite fantastic as well, lots of kind of.... electronic... and sunset scenes. It was a lot of fun I thought, since they played a TON of their older songs and only a few from their newest album.

They also mentioned that the band was like... 20 years old and that their first album was in 1995. Holy crap. I was 8 then. I don't even know what grade I was in then.

Let's play a fun game called "how old was I when I was in X grade"

2001-2005 high school
2000-2001: 8th grade; 13
1999-2000: 7th
1998-1999: 6th; 11

Fun fact, Now This is Music! (the original US one) came out in 1998 in the fall.
It had "As Long as you Love Me" by the Backstreet Boys on it, which came out in 1997 as a single. Also interestingly, it does not have any Christina or Brittany or N*SYNC on it. 

1997-1998: 5th; 10

Oh, also apparently - I just looked it up now - Oops! I Did it again didn't come out until 2000, which makes sense cause that's when my basketball team decided to make a dance routine to it, much to my past self's displeasure. Genie in a Bottle also didn't come out until 1999. Huh. Baby One More Time was 1998. Dang.

Hah. Wikipedia calls the Backstreet Boys an "American vocal harmony group." Really wiki? Just call them a boy band (even though they aren't really boys anymore, but really, that's what they are. They were doing the boy band style dancing tonight which was absolutely hiLARIOUS.)

Also apparently, the last time I went to see them was like... in 2010 or 20something before Kevin rejoined the group.

Since the majority of their fans are now presumably legal now, there was a bit of hip thrusting, bare chests and booty shaking by some of the backstreet boys. Be still, my heart. I mean, not that it's stopped other bands from doing that for their underaged fans, but it feels like the backstreet boys have matured with their fan base as well lol.

At the concert they mentioned that they debuted in 1995, but honestly the first album I can remember is in 1997. So I was like... in 4th or 5th grade and I was 9 or 10. Dang. That was a long time ago.

Anyways, I'd say enough with the reminiscing but the entire concert was basically one big trip down memory lane, with singing. It's kind of amazing how many lyrics I remember from their old songs. Like... seriously, I wish I had this good of a memory for Japanese vocab. Instead, I will just be able to sing all the songs from the Backstreet Boy's first US album haha.

Their concert was definitely awesome though. Would go again.

No comments: