Saturday, June 9, 2012

Hello there rainy season and bugs

Ahh, things have gotten so busy as of late! Where does the time end up going? I suspect those boring moments in life steal them away from the more interesting ones.

I have a plane ticket back, though one slightly different than the one they approved me for. I suppose that's the problem with allowing us the freedom to choose our own flights and dates and times; we need to get it approved by a whole slew of people, taking something that's better done with a couple phone calls and making it more difficult. First we need to give the proposed flight quote to our supervisors. Then, it moves up the chain to the vice principal, and then the principal (at least that's how it works at my school). Then it gets faxed or mailed to our Board of Education - in my case, the prefectural office. Then they approve it, and fax it back. Then we're supposed to buy our tickets. But it needs to wait on at least four people - four people who are generally pretty busy.

Yet somehow, when we faxed the paper to the board of education in the morning, by the evening the flight on kayak.com was no more. thankfully though, I was able to find A similar flight - the same times even, on the same airline for the first leg - for just a little more money. Sooo I bought it, and I'm really hoping the board of education will say alright since it's only a little more expensive. Pain though, to use my American credit card when I'm getting paid in yen. It means I have to transfer more things, which honestly, I think is a huge pain in the rear.

It's why I haven't really sent money home other than physically bringing it back and selling it to people in the states who want yen.

On a completely different note, it's gotten disgustingly hot and humid. I've already turned on my air conditioner. As far as I'm concerned, summer officially started when they turned on the AC in The train and stopped automatically opening the doors at all the stops. Yet still, there are days - like today - where for one reason or another it's just really freaking COLD and it throws me off because I have no idea what to wear ahaha.

Humid, (and the occasional rain) means also that the bugs have returned in full force. It's kind of disgusting. You can't ride a bike anywhere without getting pegged by a couple bugs. Bugs up the nose, in the mouth (despite trying to ride with my mouth closed), in the eye (despite my small eyes lol). Ugh. But worse... is that the bugs have invaded my house!

They're also pretty fast. D:
Last week I had not one, but TWO centipede visitors.

One of them was this bug, called 'gejigeji' in Japanese. They're generally 'good' bugs since they eat other bugs and don't really bite or sting. Their name in English is "House Centipede." They're kinda non-aggro hahaha.

The other one...

I had another mukade in my house. D: Longer body, black color, a little on the skinny side, and shorter legs. Yuuuuuck. Seriously, I was looking for pictures, but then I stopped because it felt like I was somehow going to summon another one just by trying to look for pictures of it.

I looked over and saw something moving out the corner of my eye, and it turned out a mukade had decided to crawl into my backpack. Nearly grabbed a lighter to burn it, but that would have destroyed my house maybe. Boiling water was not an option either, because I had electronics in my backpack.

Thankfully, I still had some of the kill-by-freezing bug spray that goes down to like. -82C I think? Sorry, -85C, or -121F. It took about a minute of panicked hyperventilating and spraying nearly the whole can for it to stop moving. Still in my backpack. Right up against the lip of the bag too.

Removing it... yeah. So you know that non-harmful one earlier? It was in my bathroom while I was taking a shower. I waited for my friend to come over to my house, and she helped me kill it by drowning, and then did what I couldn't; removed it with disposable chopsticks. Bless the woman, she also removed the dead bee that's been sitting on my window sill for a good month or so.

So yeah. Removing it was a challenge. I thought about vacuuming it up, but the irrational fear part of me was like, "WHAT IF IT'S STILL ALIVE? WHAT IF IT'S JUST IN A CYROGENESIS KIND OF SLEEP WHERE IT'S BODY IS HIBERNATING?" also the reason why I was like, nooo picking it up with chopsticks.

Eventually, after much shaking with my Mt. Fuji walking stick (nice and long) it kinda came to the edge of my bag, and I grabbed a broom and kind of swept it into the dust pan, put on my shoes, went outside, and hurled that thing far away from my house. Retrospect says I should have dumped it in the river.

I suppose I'm getting better at killing bugs, even if I still scream at them. Even then, I think that's gotten a bit better now too. I don't scream as loud... sometimes. I still hate being surprised, so when I'm surprised by a bug in close proximity to my person, I'll still jump and scream. But like, it's better than before, I suppose.

Yesterday at school, I had an interesting conversation with the teachers at one of my school, how there were a tooon of words to talk about rain. And that rainy season was finally here, with yesterday being the first good rain. It actually dropped the temperature by a good... 8-10 degrees Celsius. Which is a big difference, something I keep forgetting. 19 is a bit on the chilly side, especially if you don't bring a jacket! Not just any jacket though, because it was still humid, so the rain jacket I brought with me stuck and clung and made me feel kinda gross.

I did make a soup last night. Chunky and creamy tomato potato soup. Nom. Relatively healthy too, I think, in addition to being really filling! And when you add a little bit of feta cheese... ah, heaven. I think this is why I love the autumn and cool weather, and I don't mind winter too much. Soups. Hot foods.

That being said though, I love cold foods too hahaha. Actually, I bought some zaru soba (I think that's the cold stuff? Maybe? Ha! I don't actually eat it that often... maybe this is my second time) that's matcha flavored, so I'm excited for that.

No comments: