Thursday, February 9, 2012

"Fusion" Food

Dear Japan,

We might have created a crazy version of sushi that does not exist anywhere inside of Japan (ie, caterpillar roll, dynamite roll, to name a few) but what you've done with basically every other kinds of Western food pales in comparison. Even our panda express is probably more Chinese than some of the things you've done to western foods.

This came about because I happened to turn on my TV and by chance, they had a program on about - of all things - burgers in Japan. Like, proper hamburgers. Kinda. I mean, they're not the hambagu patty things my students are so fond of. This program showcased several interesting burgers from prefectures all around Japan.

The one I happened to come in on was an udon burger. Not just any burger, but a "sanuki-udon" burger.

I guess I should mention that from now on, the word "burger" shall be used loosely to refer to "things between two bread-based buns."

In this hilarious part of the show called "OPEN THE BURGER~" (or, "open tha bagah") they "reveal" what's inside the burger in two ways. One, they split it down the middle by pulling it apart all slow and dramatically. Second, they open it up from the top and take it off layer by layer. It's pretty amazing to watch (and really funny too, because they do it so dramatically). It's also funny to watch all their reactions when eating it, because I swear it's a requirement to scream at the top of your lungs "UMAI" or "OISHIIIII" which is like saying "THIS IS REALLY FRIGGIN TASTY." I also have a hunch that this is part of the reason why it's not considered impolite to talk with your mouth full; otherwise how else are you supposed to announce to the world that it's so freaking good? So good that you'd break societal norms of finishing your food before you speak.
So the sanuki-udon burger has a poached egg, udon that's been deepfried and drenched in some ginger teriyaki sauce, and a chicken patty.

Like I said, loose definitions of the burger.

Next was the korroke burger, which was yakisoba, wrapped in a large gyoza wrapper, breaded, and then deep fried so it's like a coroquette. Then it's put on a bagel bun. Holy dang.

The next one actually was made with fish - katsuo, and had mayo and something else my mind has blocked out. Oh yeah, one of those leaves. Shiso, aka perilla, aka, beefsteak plant. Beefsteak plant? What an interesting name.

Dude....

This next one, rather than having a bread based bun, uses deep fried tofu as a bun for tonkatsu (breaded pork cutlet). Wut.

I'm pretty sure Japan has managed to make burgers more unhealthy than the KFC double down. Either way, this is amazing. I wish I could go hunt these down, since some of them actually sounded kinda... tasty.

No comments: