Wednesday, November 10, 2010

One Potato, Two Potato, Three Potato, Four~

So ever since my mom sent me this nice medium sized thing of Lawry's season salt, I've rediscovered my love for potatoes. If you count only the foods I make (and not the foods that I've been buying for lunch, since that either comes from the convenience store or whomever the school gets their lunches for teachers through), I've probably consumed more potatoes than any other starch this week. That's a lot, considering I love rice.

Today though, I played around with making mashed potatoes (again) and gravy (again). I tried something different this time though; I tried doing a roux. (Special aside, I don't actually know how to properly pronounce 'roux' despite several Speech attempts and listening to other people say it. I keep thinking "roxx" instead of "rue." Another interesting aside, the main character for my nanowrimo story is named Rue and her special power is cooking. Coincidence? I THINK NOT. I didn't actually know this when I picked the name though. Anyways. I digress.)

Something tells me I used way way way too much butter. My gravy taaastess liiike buuuutterrrr.

Oh well, you live and you learn right? I've learned that I cannot eyeball flour and butter to be the same amount. Nope. That stuff needs to be measured.

At least the gravy is still tasty, albeit now really unhealthy and probably can clog an artery or two.

It also didn't help that the mashed potatoes I made *also* had butter in it. I made it with milk for the first time though. Hooray! They actually turned out really nicely. I thought they were too runny at first, but I guess they thickened up upon standing. In the end, I had these really damn good mashed potatoes.

In other, equally exciting news, I've finally found some type of low-fat/skim milk! I have no idea what percentage it is! All I know is that it had less calories (I think that's what they were) and most of the numbers on this carton (which is green) were lower than the numbers on the blue carton. I can drink it without feeling all sick! Hooray. :D Dairy in liquid form re-enters into my life. I'm pretty sure it's not non-fat though, but it might be 1 or 2%? Maybe? At this point, after having drank whole milk, I'll take 2% and be happy, dammit.

I should also, probably, really, go to bed. It's past midnight. I'm not really doing anything productive any more.

Tuesdays are both awesome and long. Awesome, because I get to go to kyuudo. Long, because I don't get back home until pretty much 8pm. And today, I had it in my head that by the gods, I was going to COOK. This was mostly because the meat that I got at half price (3 steak things for ~600 yen! They were kinda small though) was well, half price. I got it on monday. Usually the stickers are on there for a reason.

Yeaaaaah, I'm really hoping they didn't actually go bad. Asides from a little browning, they smelt perfectly fine (and tasted fine). I was only really a day off. ._.; They stayed in my fridge all day. For some reason, instead of thinking today was the 9th, I thought it was the 8th. I thought I had time to freeze it and everything. Nooope. Not really.

So yeah, cooking took some time. I also wanted to do laundry (though I hate doing laundry over here even more than I did back at home in the States). I also couldn't find my camera, so spent a good hour turning my house inside out (there's a pile of clothes on my futon now that I have to clear before I can sleep. Sigh.) before I found it in my Halloween bag. And I was good and washed all my dishes. Didn't quite get around to putting away all my clothes... but hey, it's a start yeah? I even vacuumed a little bit.

But by the time I did everything... it was kind of past midnight. Yeaaah oops. My bad. So much for trying to go to bed early. -_-;

Maybe next time gadget... next time.

No comments: